|This article is about the character from the games. You may be looking for the villain from the spin-off TV series.|
- “The champ of chomp!”
- —Villain Vault
- “Chompy Power!”
- —Chompy Mage's Sensei catchphrase
The Chompy Mage is an antagonist who first appeared in Skylanders: Giants. He is a wizard who has the ability to summon Chompies and transform into a giant Chompy. He dislikes anyone who isn't a Chompy, and always has a Chompy puppet on his left hand which he occassionally speaks for. His brother is the Sheep Mage.
Before the events of Skylanders: Trap Team, the Chompy Mage became the latest member of the Doom Raiders. He later traded a life of crime to be part of the Skylander Senseis in Skylanders: Imaginators, training Imaginators of the Bazooker Battle Class.
The Chompy Mage is obsessed with Chompies, so much that he dresses like one and doesn't like anyone who isn't a Chompy. Aside from that, he also appears to have little to no respect for others but his own allies, constantly annoying Flynn until he warmed up to him during the credits of Giants. However, since becoming a Doom Raider, the Chompy Mage shows great respect towards his fellow villains, not intending to turn them into Chompies, knowing that doing so would anger them greatly.
His Chompy puppet appears to be a split personality or have a mind of its own occasionally, rather childish and carefree; it is seen mocking or looking away from other people during Trap Team cutscenes while the Mage appears to be paying attention to them, replying to him, and in SuperChargers staring down into another Chompy in their vehicle before the Chompy Mage shooed it away. In Battlecast, it also frequently replies to him and talks to the opponents.
After his rehabilitation in Skylanders: Imaginators, the Chompy Mage still holds on to his love for Chompies, but now believes that they should be used for good instead of evil.
Believe it or not, the Chompy Mage actually hatched from inside a Chompy Pod. At least that is how his Chompy hand puppet tells the story. Having been raised by Chompies, it is no surprise that the old magician is a little strange. He simply grew up embracing the Chompy way – believing that Skylands would be a better place if everyone was a Chompy – an illegal enchantment which he has actually tried to perform on several occasions.
The Chompy Mage was on his way to the annual Chompy Convention (ChompyCon), but got lost. He didn't want to ask for directions, so he pretended like he moved to Wilikin Village on purpose. The Chompy Mage then figured he would stay there for a while, practicing his magic, and then set out for the ChompyCon next year. However, his antics proved to be a nuisance to the Wilikins, eluding the residents by switching between the real world and the Wilikin world. Eventually, the Skylander confronted the Chompy Mage and defeated him at the edge of Wilikin Village. He later appeared in the credits, conversing with Flynn.
Skylanders: Trap Team
Eventually, the Chompy Mage's forbidden magic to turn others into Chompies led him to be locked up inside Cloudcracker Prison, where he met the other Doom Raiders. Of course, they all thought he was completely crazy, but the Chompy Mage can see through the eyes of any Chompy in Skylands — and having a few billion little spies can come in handy when trying to enact revenge on the Skylanders. Plus, he could secure the Chompy vote for any sort of political elections that followed.
The Chompy Mage, along with the other remaining members of the Doom Raiders, were freed from Cloudcracker Prison by Kaos who attempted to assume leadership over the villainous group. However, the Doom Raiders were more willing to follow orders of their original leader, the Golden Queen. The Chompy Mage was sent by the Golden Queen to locate all the Traptanium needed to create their Ultimate Weapon. He confronted the Skylanders in his hot air balloon in an effort to stop them from reaching the Chompy Mountain entrance. Fortunately for them, there was a cannon nearby, so the Skylanders could make comeback shots from the Chompy Mage's own cannons.
After freeing Mabu Defense Force member Snuckles, the Skylanders faced the Chompy Mage atop the Chompy Head Spire, and, despite his many Chompies and his imposing Chompy forms, he was defeated once again. However, he manged to inform the Doom Raiders of the location of all the Traptanium in Skylands before his capture.
After the Skylanders saved the Phoenix Chicken from Chef Pepper Jack, they took him and Broccoli Guy on board the Chef Zeppelin for their Villain Quests. Chompy Mage's quest was called "Free the Chompies!", provided by a Mabu chef named Cookie. He explained to the heroes that he was responsible for wrangling all the ship's Chompies, and that he didn't attend the Royal Cooking Academy to get bit ever so often, and pleaded the mage's assistance so he could finally work in the kitchen. After freeing the critters, Chompy Mage was awarded with Cookie's thanks and a new outfit.
The Chompy Mage reappeared as a raceable villain riding his signature vehicle, the Chompy Buster. After defeating him in Boss Pursuit, the player will be able to race as the Chompy Mage in Race Mode.
After breaking out and joining the other Doom Raiders, Chompy Mage was once again captured by the Skylanders. Eon gave him and other villains a choice - either go back to jail or become Skylander Senseis, teaching a new generation of Imaginators their formidable battle skills as well as how to stay clear of a life of crime. They accepted the deal, but first had to prove themselves by re-arranging all the books in the Academy's library, a task which took almost two years, testing every ounce of will they had. This also gave Chompy Mage time to take up the bazooka, which he was naturally so good at that he now trains Imaginators of the Bazooker Class as a Sensei master.
Being a wizard, the Chompy Mage has the ability to summon magic that can either be harmful or heal the Skylanders, switching the worlds will reverse their properties. He also has the ability to transform into a giant Chompy, and summon Chompies with a wave of his staff. The Chompy Mage can use his staff's magic to turn anyone into a Chompy. He can also summon a forcefield to protect himself, or teleport when the time calls for it.
As a giant Chompy, the Chompy Mage can release eggs that would hatch into regular Chompies or Enfuego Chompies, depending on which world they are in. He can also blow gusts of wind, and inhale to draw the Skylander towards it to bite them. In Trap Team, the Chompy Mage reveals the ability to change into his Super Magma form while in his Chompy stage. In Skylanders: Battlecast, that is extended when he also shows the ability to change his element to Water and become a Jumbo Frigid Chompy, or become a Jumbo Enfuego Chompy with the Fire element.
- Health: ??? (max. 0)
- Speed: ?? (max. 48)
- Armor: ?? (max. 30)
- Critical Hit: ?? (max. 50)
- Elemental Power: ?? (max. 50)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 300
- Defense: 200
- Agility: 200
- Luck: 200
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
Requires unlocking from the
Bazooker Sensei Shrine
|Chompzooka!||Talk to the Hand!||
Chompies to Go Please
Jump then press Attack 3 while in the air to break the Chompy pile up into individual minions.
|Chompy Pile!||Staff Shot||A Corn!||What a Dashing Pile!|
Press Attack 3 to transform into a pile of angry Chompies! Press the Jump Button to jump out of the pile, which will keep going for a short distance on its own.
Press and hold Attack 1 to launch a magical exploding staff.
Talk to the Hand! now coughs up exploding acorn. Mmmm... corns!
Press Attack 1 to dash forward when in pile form. Pile now does more damage!
|The Champ of Chomp|
|Bitey Chompies!||Giant Bitey Chompies!||Pile Launcher!|
Chompies now latch onto enemies and chew on them for a bit.
Bitey Chompies transform into Large Chompies. Large Chompies hang around longer than Bitey Chompies.
Chompies jump out of the pile and attack enemies.
|Get Thee to a Shrubbery!||Here Lies a Chompy||Shrubsplode!|
Acorns now spout poisonous shrubbery.
Chompies now leave behind shrubbery.
Shrubs now explode! You win Shrub, you lose Shrub.
- "Greetings! I am the Chompy Mage! And you are not a Chompy! So I don't like you!!!" (as the Chompy Puppet) "Me neither!"
- "Now let's see if you can dodge some of my evil magic! Dodge, dodge, dodge..."
- "Oh that's it then! I am through toying with you!!!" (as the Chompy Puppet) "Me too!"
- "Whuh-uh-uh-uh-uht!!!!! That's MY sneaky trick! Well let's see how you do with even MORE evil magic!" (as the Chompy Puppet) "YEAH!"
- "I think I see the problem here! I'm not in the right form to defeat you." (as the Chompy Puppet) *"CHOMPY POWER!"
- "It is I, the Chompy Mage, and you are still not a Chompy. So I still don't like you!" (as the Chompy Puppet) "Let's rock!"
- "Chompies, Chompies, Chompies!"
- "More Chompies, MORE!!!"
- "How irritating! I suppose I should make this a little tougher." (as the Chompy Puppet) "Round 2!"
- "I see the problem now: I'm not using all my powers to defeat you. Instead, I have just been incrementally increasing the difficulty. Well, that's about to change!"
- "What's going on now, Chompy Puppet?" (as the Chompy Puppet) "I dunno, man!"
- "What the...?! What did I do to deserve this?! Oh yeah! All that stuff I did!"
- "Who will look after the chompppppppppiiiiiieeeessss...?!"
- "Hey!" (knocks on the Trap) "What's going on?! Where am I?! It's very dark in here, and it kind of smells like mustard!"
- "Mmm... I suppose we should just accept this, eh, Chompy Puppet?" (as the Chompy Puppet) "Just go with the flow, man!"
- "CHOMPY POWWWWEEERRRR!!!" - entering the game
- "Why do we come back here after every adventure? Seems kinda weird."
- "That was a chomp-whomping!"
- "I'm always up for freeing the Chompies, but this guy needs a better attitude!" - Quest
- "I'm not really a numbers guy, I'm more of a Chompy guy." - When checking stats
- "Ready, Chompy puppet? (as the puppet) Oh, it's gonna get real!" - Battle Introduction
- "Okay, let's get to it!"
- "Let's do this!" - swapping in
- "Time for some awesome!"
- "Let's take a load off!" - swapping out
- "Chompy come, chompy go!"
- "Chompy Mage is all in!" - rank up
- "Feeling strong!"
- "Ooh, looking good!" - Summoning a Gear
- "I'll take it!"
- "Chomptastic!" - Summoning a Relic
- "Splendid!" - randomly when casting spells
- "Nice work!"
- "The bigger they are, the harder they chomp!" - Jumbo Chompy Form
- "Chompy power!"
- "Feel the burn!" - Jumbo En Fuego Form
- "Chompy rage!"
- "Let's play it cool!" - Jumbo Frigid Form
- "Way too cool! (as the puppet) You know it!"
- "Take that!" - KOed an enemy
- "Down you go!"
- "And away we go!" - when defeated
- "Oh no! (as the puppet) We're going down, man."
- "Well, that went sideways... (as the puppet) Sure did!" - defeat at the end of battle
- Oh, come on! (as the puppet) Not fair, not fair!"
- "Mess with the Chompy, get the teeth!" - Victory
- "Oh, that was some excellent pummeling!"
- "Careful, Chompies bite! (as the puppet) Yeah, for real, man." - when poked
- "Okay, now!"
- "I wouldn't do that if I were you!"
- "Hey there!"
- "Hey, what's with the poking?"
- "Hahahaha! Now that I'm a Sensei, there is nothing your Imaginators can't 'ac-chomp-lish'." - Sensei Training Bonus
- "And what class are we Chompy Puppet?" (Chompy Puppet) "Bazooker!" "Really? Well okay then, check out this secret technique." - Secret Technique Bonus
- "What does all this mean?" (Chompy Puppet) "Don't ask me; I'm just a puppet..." - When checking stats
- "Get em, Chompy Puppet!" - Bazooker Sensei Shrine
- Chef Zeppelin - Free the Chompies
Villain Theme ♫
Chompy Mage's villain theme is Mad Chase, from APM Music. His boss themes across the games are remixes of various existing themes, Icicle Isle in Giants and Volcanic Vault(known as Legendary Ancient Sewers in the soundtrack) in Trap Team.
- He thinks he is a great singer, but he is in fact pretty bad.
- Despite this, he was a good rapper in It's Christmas 4 Bad Guyz 2.
- He loves enchiladas, like Flynn, Sharpfin, and Buzz.
- Flynn has offered to help him find a new job.
- The Chompy Mage is the only Doom Raider who wasn't seen in the opening cutscene of Trap Team along with the other Doom Raiders; this is because the Chompy Mage was imprisoned in Cloudcracker Prison sometime after the other Doom Raiders were first incarcerated.
- As he appears on the Dread-Yacht's dingy during the credits of Giants, it appears that he can teleport.
- The Chompy Mage is very similar to his brother, the Sheep Mage; both are mages that are associated with an animal of Skylands, both have left hand puppets of their respective animals, both have the ability to transform into a large version of their respective creature, and both possess the ability to blow and inhale large amounts of air.
- He is also similar to Clopin in The Hunchback of Notre Dame; both of them have puppets of their favorite things.
- His magic attack is similar to the Hydra's Life elemental powers, though lacking the bugs.
- At the time when Trap Team was first revealed, when back into the game, he would say "WHAT? I'm back in Skylands?!"
- The Chompy Mage is one of the four trappable villains who, upon being captured in a trap, vaguely references the smell of mustard (the others are Blaster-Tron, Tussle Sprout and Chef Pepper Jack).
- He and the Bone Chompy are the only trappable villains who first appeared in Giants.
- The Chompy Mage is the only Doom Raider who first appeared in Giants.
- Any hat he wears is placed on top of his Chompy Puppet instead.
- The Chompy Mage is voiced by Alex Ness, who is the Chief of Staff at Toys for Bob, who is also the voice actor of Lightning Rod, Drobot, Double Trouble and Broccoli Guy.
- He and Golden Queen are the only Doom Raiders that can summon Villains of their Element (Chompy and Grave Clobber).
- He and Broccoli Guy are similar in many ways:
- The Chompy Mage is the only villain who has his own cutscene when completing his Quest.
- The Chompy Mage, as of Skylanders: Battlecast, is the only character in the entire series to change his element at will entirely, in his Jumbo Frigid and Enfuego Chompy forms - other characters could only change theirs permanently.
- Across the franchise, Chompy Mage was an independent villain, part of the Doom Raiders, and now part of a Skylander team. Aside from Kaos, this makes him the character to change alliances the most as of Imaginators.
- In Chompy Mage's "Meet the Senseis" trailer, it incorrectly has the Chompy Staff, which is for Sorcerer Imaginators, as the weapon he awards after opening the Bazooker Sensei Shrine in The Golden Arcade.
- Despite his figure form and Skylanders: Imaginators official artwork, the Chompy Mage doesn't rely on his staff. Whenever he is placed on the portal before entering the game, he tosses it away (apparently due to the Chompy Puppet's disapproval of the staff) and then pulls out his bazooka. However, he uses his staff as his alternative ammo for his bazooka only after his "Staff Shot" upgrade is purchased.
- He and Flare Wolf are the only Bazooker Senseis.