The Elements are what the world of Skylands, and the Core of Light, is built up off of. There are ten main elements: Magic, Tech, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Life, Light, Dark, and Undead. Each Skylander is associated with one of these elements and it affects what they can do in the games. There are currently eleven known elements that exist in Skylands, but there is a possibility of more that lie undiscovered.
In the console versions, Skylanders can open gates of their element and gain extra power in areas of their element. In Arena Matches, some Skylanders get extra damage against certain elements.
In Giants, if a Skylander is in an element zone or at an elemental gate which matches their elements, they give off a bit of a cheer. If that zone or gate doesn't match their elements, they will sometimes get irritated.
All elements are different, but they are all equal in power. Fire, Tech, and Undead all have an aggresive playstyle, where Water and Earth seem to have a lot of health for what you might call tanking. Magic, Air, and Life are balanced and more supportive than anything else.
In the webgame, the abilities Skylanders have in minigames varies depending on their element. An example of this is that each element has their own special boost attack in Sky Defense.
In the game's Battle Mode each Element has advantages and disadvantages: Air is stronger against Earth, Earth is stronger against Tech, Tech is stronger against Magic, Magic is stronger against Undead, Undead is stronger against Life, Life is stronger against Water, Water is stronger against Fire, Fire is stronger than Air, and the cycle starts over again.
- Some enemies are also elemental based, Spell Punks and Villains are the best examples.
- You can see some enemies with them on the Skystones as well.
- The four classical elements each interact with each other in advantages/disadvantages.
- Light and Dark are currently the only elements to have no known advantages or disadvantages in battle. This is due to the fact that there is no Battle Mode in Trap Team.
- There is a new element exclusive to Skylanders: SuperChargers Racing. Though the name is currently unknown, it resembles the hat of Pandergast and is used for two instant vehicles, the Clunker and the Blunder Bucket.
- A Banana element and an unnamed element were originally considered to be exclusive elements for Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser.
- ↑ Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure - Master Eon's Official Guide, page 17
- ↑ Skylanders SuperChargers Amiibo: A Brief History and Other Nintendo Characters Considered