- “One Strike and You're Out!”
- —Lightning Rod's official catchphrase
Lightning Rod prides himself on being the most macho of all the other storm giants in Skylands, though he isn't used to sharing the spotlight. He is brave, but can also be charming and charismatic. Lightning Rod even considers everyone else in Skylands to be 'girlie', especially girls, and few are brave enough to argue with him! He is fully aware of his own monumental talents and is happy to blow his own trumpet, but happier to blast evildoers with thunder and lightning.
Lightning Rod once lived in the majestic Cloud Kingdom, where his countless acts of heroism along with his winning smile and electric physique made him the most famous storm giant in the realm. He was a true celebrity, and the palace halls were littered with statues of the chiseled hero. But all the praise and admiration could never quite satisfy Rod, who yearned for something more. As luck would have it, he met an adventurous young dragon named Spyro, who told him fantastic stories of faraway places and dangerous adventures. Rod was spellbound, and he set off with Spyro to seek an audience with Eon to join the Skylanders.
The storm giants are the ancient athletic heroes of Skylands who like to be number one in every event. Aside from being able to bench-press 250 tons, few things are important to the storm giants than their grand competitive games. And the celebrated champion of the storm giant sporting elite is Lightning Rod. Lighting Rod is the giants' most talented thrower, and sat atop of the table in the thousand-metre lightning bolt hurl for many a year (that was until he sent a stray bolt into the crowd, electrifying a spectating cyclops in the process).
But it was during a different event - the triple gold ring lightning bolt toss with a twist - that Rod hit the headlines. Just as he was flexing for the throw, Kaos' giant projected head appeared above the crowd, demanding - as usual - that all in attendence submit to his rule. Lightning Rod wasn't used to sharing the spotlight, so he hurled his bolt skyward. So powerful was the throw that it ripped past the project and into Kaos himself, who was hiding behind in an airship. Seething with anger and spitting blue sparks, Kaos had to accept defeat and flew away. But another attending Portal Master - Eon - had also seen the action, and immediately made Lightning Rod a Skylander.
Lightning Rod Faces the Cyclops Queen
At the start of the Annual Storm Titan Games, Lightning Rod accidentally hurled a large hammer in the path of Flynn's balloon, causing it to spiral out of the control. The Skylanders quickly sprang into action, knocking away the balloon's dangerous debris from the spectators within the stadium and saving Flynn, Double Trouble, Hugo and a Warrior Librarian named Squirmgrub who were onboard the balloon from crashing. Hugo then told Master Eon that the Mask of Power had revealed the location of the next fragment to the Mask of Power, and that Squirmgrub has also discovered something about the malevolent item.Within the stadium, the Skylanders discovered that the Air segment to the Mask of Power has seemingly taken on the form of a Land Whale, which was stationed at a zoo held by the Cyclops Queen at Tempest Towers. Master Eon sends Lightning Rod, Pop Fizz, Drobot, Double Trouble, Cali, and Flynn to the Tempest Towers that lay beyond the Sea of Storms in their mission to claim the Air fragment before Kaos made his move. However before they could depart, Kaos captured Cali, who knew the path to Tempest Towers. The Skylanders gave chase, following Kaos while trekking through the Sea of Storms and battling Windbag Djinnis in the process. They managed to get to Tempest Towers and trick their way inside with Pop Fizz's beserker form posing as a never-before-seen creature, while Flynn and Double Trouble kept a lookout for Kaos.
However after tricking the Cyclops Queen and her husband, Pipsqueak, the Skylanders were found out, and Lightning Rod and Drobot were thrown to the tank where the immobile Land Whale resided. The Storm Giant became hypnotized by the Whale and began walking towards its open jaws, but Drobot quickly distracted the monster long enough for Lightning Rod to break free of the Land Whale's hypnosis and save Drobot before he was eaten alive.
The two Skylanders escaped with Pop Fizz in time to see Kaos and his army of Drow battling against the Cyclops Queen's forces, with Kaos winning the struggle. Knowing that Kaos was after the Land Whale for the Air fragment, Lightning Rod hurled the Whale far from Tempest Towers, and the evil Portal Master hastily followed after it. The Skylanders were confused by Lighting Rod's action, but discovered that the Air fragment was really one of the towers of the city, which was made of Cyclopnite, the heaviest stone ever mined, and the opposite of the Air element.
Lightning Rod drank one of Pop Fizz's potions to grow to a humungous size big enough to carry the tower back to the Eternal Archive. After releasing the animals imprisoned by the Cyclops Queen back to their respectable homes, and retrieving the Air segment, Lightning Rod was returned to his original size, and surprisingly shared the glory of stopping Kaos with the other Skylanders. Unknown to the Skylanders, there was a traitor in their mist who had been revealing the locations of the Mask of Power to Kaos: Squirmgrub.
Stump Smash Crosses the Bone Dragon
Lightning Rod and Zoo Lou were assigned by Spyro to search Fantasm Forest for Master Eon, who was kidnapped by Squirmgrub. Later, when Stump Smash, Wrecking Ball, Countdown, Flameslinger, Flynn and Glumshanks were stranded by the rampaging Bone Dragon, Lightning Rod saw their distress signal and whipped up a strong gale that blew the group all back to the Eternal Archives.
Trigger Happy Targets the Evil Kaos
Lightning Rod was among the Skylanders who assembled to stop Kaos from using the completed Mask of Power. At Kaos' Kastle, the storm giant provided the non-flying Skylanders floating clouds to help them get to the castle by air. When the Skylanders confronted Kaos, the evil Portal Master put on the Mask of Power and used its abilities to steal the powers of the Skylanders, including Lighting Rod's. With this advantage, Kaos would've finished off the Skylanders right there and then had it not been for the intervention of Master Eon teleporting his Skylanders out of harm's way. The Skylanders were at a loss, as they were nothing without their powers. Their spirits were lifted by Spyro, who refused to give up and provided his teammates a plan to protect the Core of Light by building a wall.
As soon as Kaos arrived to destroy the Core, the Skylanders fought against the powerful Portal Master, but were easily overwhelmed. All seemed lost, until Trigger Happy and the other Skylanders tricked Kaos into performing their powers all at once, causing Kaos to lose control. The Mask of Power was yanked from Kaos's face by Trigger Happy, restoring the Skylanders all of their powers. Together, they used their abilities to ultimately destroy the Mask of Power, defeat Kaos, and save Skylands once again.
Lightning Rod can throw bolts of lightning at his enemies, he can also summon a powerful blast of lightning from above and control where it strikes. Lightning Rod can even produce an electrical field from his cloud torso. In the Mask of Power novels, it has been revealed that Lightning Rod has god-like strength, as he was able to lift a 400 ton hammer and hurl it far, as well as take a cannon ball blast to the chest without any damage or harm, he could also control the weather in different ways, whether it would be creating a thunder storm, or creating mighty winds, he even could fly and create clouds that allow others to fly as well.
- Health: 290 (max. 580)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 18 (max. 48)
- Critical Hit: 30 (max. 80)
- Elemental Power: 46 (max. 96)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 65
- Defense: 60
- Agility: 60
- Luck: 65
- Health: (max. Expression error: Missing operand for +.)
- Speed: (max. 48)
- Armor: (max. 30)
- Critical Hit: (max. 50)
- Elemental Power: (max. 50)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 75
- Defense: 65
- Agility: 70
- Luck: 75
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
Wow Pow Ability
|Lightning Bolt||Grand Lightning Summoning||
Zapper Field Deluxe
|Lightning Lancer||Thunderation||Zapper Field||Lightning Harpoon|
Lightning Bolt does increased damage.
Grand Lightning attack lasts longer and does increased damage.
Create a electrical storm that damages enemies.
Lighting Bolts stick into enemies and continue to damage them.
|Faster Caster||Electricity City||Lightning Avatar|
Summon the Grand Lightning attack much faster.
Grand Lightning attack has even more power and does more damage.
Summon the most powerful Grand Lightning attack ever!
|Cloud Zapper Satellite||Zappier Sats||Zapper Satellite Defense|
A protective cloud follows you and zaps any enemies that come near.
Protective zapper clouds do increased damage.
A third protective cloud joins you.
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- Lightning Bolt (Primary Attack): Press (Y) to hurl Lightning Rod's bolt at enemies.
- Thunder Strike (Secondary Attack): Press (X) to summon a powerful electric surge from above. It will last for a few moments and damage any enemies that it touches.
- Stormlord (requires level: 3): When Lightning Rod tosses a Bolt (Y), he will also damage nearby enemies.
- Stormcaller (requires level: 6): When a Thunder Strike (X) ends, it will burst and damage nearby enemies. Lightning Rod will also move faster while Thunder Strike is damaging enemies.
- Air Master (requires level: 9): Hold (X) to send Lightning Rod's Thunder Strike forwards, damaging all enemies in its path.
- "One Strike and You're Out!"
- "A jolt from the heavens!"
- "Todays forecast: Me!"
- "Lightning shall reign!"
- "A shower of power!"
- "Feel my thunder!"
- "This bolt's for you!"
- "Bring forth the thunder!"
- "You cannot hold back nature!"
- "Storm coming through!"
- "These stats are shocking!" - when checking stats
- "Those numbers are electrifying!" - when checking stats
- "This mustn't mess with my hair!" - when given a hat
- "A crown fit for a king!" - when given a hat
- "So be it!" - when given a nickname
- "I am known by many names." - when given a nickname
Skylanders: Lightning Rod Faces the Cyclops Queen
- "By my beard and biceps, I shall save them!"
- "Lightning Rod. Champion of the Cloud Kingdom. Master of Lightning. Winner of the mightiest beard ten years running. You have heard of me, yes?"
- Lightning Rod slighty resembles Zeus from Greek Mythology.
- He also resembles the Pokemon Thundurus and King Neptune from Spongebob Squarepants.
- Lightning Rod, the Leviathan and Persephone are the only three characters to be based on Greek Mythology.
- Lightning Rod is the only Skylander whose toy stand is also his body.
- He is the only Air Skylander who doesn't fly, though he is considered already a flying Skylander, as he is levitating.
- Though Lightning Rod's species is Storm Giant, his Skylander class is not a Giant.
- In Lightning Rod and the Cyclops Queen, his species is referred as a storm titan.
- His hair is purple in some of his upgrade pictures. However, this is fixed in Giants.
- In the Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Official Sticker Book, Lightning Rod's backstory differs greatly from his official biography, though this biography was supplied by Activision, making it official as well.
- Lightning Rod, Warnado, and Jet-Vac are the only Air Skylanders who don't need wings to fly.
- His Heroic Challenge, "Fight, Teleport, Fight" has a bug on some console versions where the tribal mask will not appear at the end of his challenge in Spyro's Adventure. The glitch appears to be fixed in Giants as the mask will appear at the end of the level, allowing the Skylander to complete his challenge without any problems.
- For some reason, Lightning Rod can't go over water in the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Spyro's Adventure.
- His catchphrase is a pun on "Three Strikes And You're Out!"
- Lightning Rod is voiced by Alex Ness, who also voices Drobot, Double Trouble, Broccoli Guy and the Chompy Mage.
- There is a glitch that removes Lightning Rod's cloud and make him appear without any legs. To perform this, the player must approach the Mirror or Mystery figure next to the vortex. Press the button that makes Glumshanks appear to come and speak. Lastly, the player has to choose "NO", which cause the cloud below Lightning Rod to disappear as well as the swirling purple vortex.
- True to his backstory, in Skylanders: SuperChargers, there are several statues of Lightning Rod around the Cloud Kingdom.
- He is similar to the Lightning Lord enemies from Mega Man 2 in name, appearance, and gameplay.