|This article is about the character within the Skylanders Academy continuity. You may be looking for the Skylander canon to the main storyline.|
- “I'll just use the same test subject I always do -- me!”
- —Pop Fizz, Pop Rocks
Pop Fizz is one of the main protagonists of the spin-off television series, Skylanders Academy. He is one of the professors at the school.
Pop Fizz is unstable and easily distracted, but kind. However, he isn't afraid of speaking his mind and is unconcerned with what other people think of him, and will do actions or search for things of his interest without hesitating. Despite his role as a professor and Skylander, he has no qualms about cheating.
What do you get when you mix one part gremlin, one part mad scientist, and two parts crazy? From the sounds of it, one nasty concoction. But also Pop Fizz, the Skylanders' resident alchemist! Pop Fizz is the very definition of a "wild card," a madcap mixer of magical potions who likes to test his creations on himself —without bothering to remember what’s in them. Was he born with blue skin, spiky hair, and a reckless, bonkers personality, or were those just side effects of one of his elixirs? Guess we’ll never know! On the plus side, Pop Fizz always has a potion for any given situation, whether it’s to turn invisible, transform into a bloodthirsty rage monster, or cure a bad case of the hiccups. Just remember, he’ll need to test it out first...
Before using them for heroic efforts, Pop Fizz used concoctions to play music, as well as playing the tuba. However, after being recruited as a Skylander, he can mix them to attack or create cures, though as of Season 1 the full extent of his abilities is unknown. He also carries around a bagpipe made out of multiple instruments, including a horn and tuba, that can be played to counteract other musical spells such as Wolfgang's.
Before his days as a Skylander, over 20 years before the events of the show, Pop Fizz was in a music band with Wolfgang called "Pop and the Gang". However the two had a fallout when Wolfgang's ego corrupted him, leading the werewolf to commit terrible deeds using his hypnotic music. Pop Fizz left the band afterwards, later becoming a Skylander and a professor at Skylanders Academy.
In Skylanders Unite!, Pop Fizz was one of the partygoers invited to Spyro's premature graduation party at the Team Spyro Home. He was later present during the Skylander graduation when Kaos snagged The Book of Skylanders and used his magic to freeze the book solid, immobolizing all Skylanders including Pop Fizz that were sketched within its pages. After Spyro defrosted the Book, the Skylanders, Pop Fizz, and Master Eon were freed, allowing them to defeat Kaos and throw him and Glumshanks out of Skylander Academy.
In Missing Links, the professor and the rest of Team Spyro repeatedly attempted the Fire Viper Training Simulation, but set a record for failure when one of his potions reacted suddenly and trapped the group in green foam.
Pop Fizz and Wolfgang were once good friends in their band "Pop and the Gang". When Wolfgang began using his music for evil, Pop Fizz broke all ties with his former friend and started hating the Doom Raider ever since. In a sharp contrast of his personality, Pop Fizz mood changes entirely when Wolfgang is the subject.
- Pop Fizz is one of the few characters to have kept his original voice actor from the games.
- In Pop Rocks, Pop Fizz said he was friends with the Bowling Scones and Jimi Matrix, who are parodies of the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. He also broke the fourth wall by saying "other band names that are protected under First Amendment parody rights".
- In Dream Girls, he says he had an annoying cousin named Mark.
- His fur is closer in color to his beast mode from the games, being a darker shade of blue.
- Pop Fizz, unlike his game counterpart, has mild Strabismus, with his left eye moved slightly to the right compared to his right eye, that focuses accurately where he looks. Pictures of his time as a cadet don't appear to have this condition, implying the eye misaligned during his time as a Skylander.