The Portal of Power is a pedestal used to transport the Skylanders, who are frozen as toys in our world, into the world of Skylands, connecting to the player's console of choice and bringing the toys to life in the game. After Skylanders: Giants, the Portal of Power was redesigned and upgraded to allow more room for the toys and include features exclusive to a game's gimmick. For example, the portal was redesigned in Skylanders: Swap Force to allow the features of SWAP Force Skylanders, and a new version dubbed the Traptanium Portal was created for Skylanders: Trap Team. to include the Portal Villain Vault and a Trap slot.
A Portal of Power can also be used as a viewer, giving Portal Masters the ability to seek out locations and characters of interest -- allowing the Skylanders to know exactly where to go. In Skylands, the Portal of Power serves as a transport pedestal to take the Skylanders to other areas or distances through the power of a Portal Master. Though in most cases Skylanders can be transported instantly to an area in the Portal Master's sights, additional regular travel may be needed for unknown or unreachable locations, and Portals may be built on an area to remedy that(as seen in Boom Town and the Eternal Archives).
During the events of SuperChargers, Kaos used The Sky Eater to cut off the portal connection between Skylands and other worlds, including Earth, rendering the Portals useless. The Skylanders were able to bypass this disadvantage by using the Rift Engines within the SuperCharger vehicles to create rifts to transport them around Skylands and other worlds. The Sun Runner was also built to retrieve objects lost in the portal network.
In Skylanders: Battlecast, portals are rectangular and used for combat instead of transportation. They are capable of a Portal Blast that unites the eight original Elements' power for a non-elemental spell, and Portal Rupture temporarily destroys the portal to randomly attack enemies with energy blasts, though it appears to immediately regenerate itself.
How to Use
To bring the toys into the game of Skylanders, you'll need the Portal of Power. You'll simply place the toy in the center of the Portal and instantly the character will appear in-game. This circular device glows different colors according to the elements of the characters and has the ability to recognize two characters placed on it at once to allow for multiplayer. LightCore figures or Giants will light up as long as the portal is turned on, even if the game isn't running.
A compatible Portal of Power is included with the respective game's Starter Pack, and may or may not work in other games depending on its version compatibility.
The Xbox 360 portal will only work on an Xbox 360, as will a Xbox One one only work in Xbox Ones; this applies to all games. The Spyro's Adventure 3DS portal is universal and will work on any system with that game except an Xbox 360; the Spyro's Adventure portals of other consoles can also work with the PC version of Spyro's Adventure.
The PS3, PS4, Wii and WiiU have the same portal and are interchangeable in any of the games. The PC portal only works on the PC version of the first game.
- The Spyro's Adventure and Giants portals are interchangeable, and will work with Superchargers.
- The Swap Force portal is backwards compatible, and also compatible with Superchargers.
- The Traptanium Portal from Trap Team is backwards compatible, compatible with Superchargers as well.
- The Superchargers portal does not work with Trap Team, but will work in games before that.
- The symbol of the Shattering Sigil is embedded on the side of the Portal of Power, as well as many other Skylands runes often seen in the games
- The dramatic, ethereal music that plays when the Portal of Power is empty is an epically slowed-down version of music that would normally play on that level.
- The console SWAP Force Portal of Power has the symbol of each element. Also, if you look at the edge of the windows on the sides, you could see the symbols from the first portal.
- In Killer Instinct for XBOX One, during the Ultra combo music on Glacius's stage "Crash Site", you'll hear a sound that sounds like after putting a Skylander on the Portal of Power in Spyro's Adventure, Giants, or Trap Team.
- Many Skylanders refer to the action of being placed on the Portal of Power as "Booming" or "portalling". This also applies to the villains in Trap Team.
- According to Glumshanks in Skylanders: Giants, Portal Masters should not use the Portal of Power on themselves, as it will cause them extreme pain when transporting between realms, and eletrical discharges that go on for some time. However, Kaos' Mom appears unaffected despite using it on herself several times.
- In some stores, larger versions of the Portal of Power can be seen. It plays previews of the Skylander placed, as well as the current game's storyline.