- “Go Fish!”
- —Rip Tide's official catchphrase
Rip Tide underwent numerous design changes during the development of Skylanders: Swap Force. His first incarnation was a fish-like creature named Krayken that possessed electrical abilities and had a sentient fish head as his left arm. The design was later scrapped and a frog-like warrior named Bubble Trouble was brought in. However the design and name evolved into Rip Tide, resulting with the traits from Bubble Trouble being passed down to Punk Shock and Wash Buckler.
Rip Tide was known far and wide as one of the best Aqua-Fighters in Skylands. He mastered a multitude of water techniques and astonished tournament spectators with his ability to adapt his fighting style to any opponent. Amongst his repertoire were Swordfish Fencing, Hammerhead Heaving, and even the rare Blubber Whale Wallop -- which he had used on numerous occasions in the legendary Rumble in the Reef. His unrivaled skill as a swordsman soon drew the attention of Master Eon. But when Kaos learned of this, he sent forth a legion of Squidface Brutes to stop Rip Tide before he could join the Skylanders... and everyone knows how that turned out, except for the Squidface Brutes, who after being knocked senseless can't remember a thing.
As perhaps the most skilled Aqua-Fighter in all of Skylands, Rip Tide thrilled audiences with his incredible water-based combat techniques. His talents drew the attention of Master Eon, but before the Portal Master could recruit him to the Skylanders, Kaos dispatched a squad of Squidface Brutes to take the Aqua-Fighter down. Needless to say, it didn't work. Those Squidface Brutes didn't know what hit them, and now Rip Tide uses his fighting skills in the battle against evil.
Being a skilled Aqua-Fighter, Rip Tide can swipe and slash his enemies with his Swordfish and Sharkfish like swords. He can also summon a large whale from his sleeve and slam it down on his enemies.
In Skylanders: Battlecast, he can use fish for a variety of effects, from food for his allies, to draining health with jellyfish, electrifying his swordfish for a debuff, and even summoning sharks and piranhas to add to his team's own damage. His Special Ability is Fish Feast, healing his allies, and his signature Gear is an Electric Eel, which mutes enemies who have Gear themselves.
| Basic Abilities|
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Horn Tetra Attack||Fish Toss||
Reinventing the Whale
|Whale On 'Em||Bigger Fish to Fly||Fresh Fish||Blistering Blubber|
Press Attack 3 to drop a large whale and smack down a large number of enemies.
Press Attack 2 to throw the held fish, doing increased damage to enemies.
Press Attack 2 to throw the currently held fish. Press Attack 1 to attack and critically hit with the new fish.
Whale attacks do increased damage. Pocket whales are known for their helpful nature.
|Nipping Needle Nose||Practiced Parry||Straight As An Angler|
Press Attack 2 to throw the Swordfish which does damage over time to enemies that it hits.
Swordfish attacks do increased damage. A sword for a nose! Convenient!
Hold Attack 1 to charge a swordfish attack, release to dash through enemies causing them to take damage and be knocked back.
|Shark Surprise||Time to Hammer||Shark Bite Bait|
Press Attack 2 to throw the shark which bounces off of enemies heads before landing.
Hammerhead shark attacks do increased damage. There is more than one reason why they are called hammerheads.
Hold Attack 1 Hold (Square) to charge a shark attack, release to dash forward biting any enemies in the way.
|Jellyfish Squall||Go Fish||Eletric Eel - Gear|
|Shark Attack||Whale Whomp||Fish Feast - Special Ability|
Skylanders can use abilities depending on their level.
- 3DSpower1 (Primary Attack): 3DSpower1desc
- 3DSpower2 (Secondary Attack): 3DSpower2desc
- 3DSupgrade1 (requires level: 3DSupgrade1level): 3DSupgrade1desc
- 3DSupgrade2 (requires level: 3DSupgrade2level): 3DSupgrade2desc
- 3DSupgrade3 (requires level: 3DSupgrade3level): 3DSupgrade3desc
- "Go Fish!"
- "Yeah, fin for the win!"
- "Makin' waves!"
- "Turning the tide!"
- "No catching release here!"
- "Hooked it!"
- "Flying fish!"
- "Up high!"
- "Going up!"
- "Whopper of a haul!" - when opening a treasure chest
- "Power wave!" - when levelling up
- "More power!" - when levelling up
- "Strap to the gills!" - when checking stats
- "I'm tipping the scales!" - when checking stats
- "That's a whale of a hat!" - when given a hat
- "I look like a real catch!" - when given a hat
- "Something fishy about this name!" - when given a nickname
- "Bait and switch!" - when given a nickname
- "Fintastic!" - scanned in
- "Let's make some waves!"
- "Casting out!" - when selected
- "Surf's up!"
- "Reeled in!" - swapping in
- "Ready for battle!"
- "Off the hook!" - swapping out
- "Time for a rest!"
- "A powerful swell!" - rank up
- "Looking ship-shape!"
- "I'll take it!" - Summoning a Gear
- "A real catch!"
- "Making a splash!" - Summoning a Relic
- "Turning the tide!"
- "Making waves!" - randomly when casting spells
- "Soak it up!"
- "Make it rain!" - Jellyfish Squall
- "Jelly time!"
- "The shock of your life!" - Electric Eel
- "High voltage!"
- "A whale of a time!" - Whale Whomp
- "There's a whale on you!"
- "Now that's a big one!" - Go Fish
- "The catch of the day!"
- "Time for a bite!" - Shark Attack
- "Snack attack!"
- "Splashed down!" - KOed an enemy
- "Tipping the scales!"
- "Fish overboard!" - when defeated
- "Going down!"
- "Another time!" - defeat at the end of battle
- "I let that one get away...!"
- "Fin for the win!" - Victory
- "A swell victory!"
- "Ahoy!" - when poked
- "Easy, now!"
- "Aye aye!"
- "Steady on!"
- "Better watch yourself!"
- "Having fun?"
- "A wave of energy!" - Card Level Up
- "Power surge!"
- "Looks like I caught myself a whopper! You guys are going down!" - The Card Game Short Cut
- "Alright! Time to fish or cut bait!"
- He slightly resembles the DC Comics villain Deathstroke as both carry various weapons.
- He bears a slight resemblance to the Battletoads as well as Principal Pixiefrog from My Gym Partner's a Monkey.
- He also resembles the Lord of the Atlantis from Monster Legends.
- Some of his battle quotes are shared with Gill Grunt.
- He and Chill are the only Water Skylanders who can summon their cetacean allies to attack. Rip Tide brings out the orca to slam it down on enemies.
- His face slightly resembles Captain Qwark from the Ratchet & Clank series.
- When he uses his primary attack with the hammerhead shark three times, he'll peform a move similar to Ratchet's Multi-strike move from Ratchet & Clank.
- When Rip Tide grind rails, he uses the hammerhead shark as a board and holds his swordfish no matter which fish he hold.
- He has the shortest catchphrase out of every Skylander.
- In the Skylanders: Swap Force; Master Eon's Official Guide handbook, it incorrectly states that his Soul Gem is found in the Rampant Ruins.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Skylanders Universe: The Complete Collection, page 197
- ↑ Live Demonstration of Character and Toy Design for Skylanders
- ↑ Skylanders Official Sticker Book (2014), page 12