- “Go Fish!”
- —Rip Tide's official catchphrase
Rip Tide underwent numerous design changes during the development of Skylanders: Swap Force. His first incarnation was a fish-like creature named Krayken that possessed electrical abilities and had a sentient fish head as his left arm. The design was later scrapped and a frog-like warrior named Bubble Trouble was brought in. However the design and name evolved into Rip Tide, resulting with the traits from Bubble Trouble being passed down to Punk Shock and Wash Buckler.
Rip Tide was known far and wide as one of the best Aqua-Fighters in Skylands. He mastered a multitude of water techniques and astonished tournament spectators with his ability to adapt his fighting style to any opponent. Amongst his repertoire were Swordfish Fencing, Hammerhead Heaving, and even the rare Blubber Whale Wallop -- which he had used on numerous occasions in the legendary Rumble in the Reef. His unrivaled skill as a swordsman soon drew the attention of Master Eon. But when Kaos learned of this, he sent forth a legion of Squidface Brutes to stop Rip Tide before he could join the Skylanders... and everyone knows how that turned out, except for the Squidface Brutes, who after being knocked senseless can't remember a thing.
As perhaps the most skilled Aqua-Fighter in all of Skylands, Rip Tide thrilled audiences with his incredible water-based combat techniques. His talents drew the attention of Master Eon, but before the Portal Master could recruit him to the Skylanders, Kaos dispatched a squad of Squidface Brutes to take the Aqua-Fighter down. Needless to say, it didn't work. Those Squidface Brutes didn't know what hit them, and now Rip Tide uses his fighting skills in the battle against evil.
Being a skilled Aqua-Fighter, Rip Tide can swipe and slash his enemies with his Swordfish and Sharkfish like swords. He can also summon a large whale from his sleeve and slam it down on his enemies.
In Skylanders: Battlecast, he can use fish for a variety of effects, from food for his allies, to draining health with jellyfish, electrifying his swordfish for a debuff, and even summoning sharks and piranhas to add to his team's own damage. His Special Ability is Fish Feast, healing his allies, and his signature Gear is an Electric Eel, which mutes enemies who have Gear themselves. His scrapped card is Feeding Frenzy, which summons piranhas to attack and immobilize damaged enemies.
- He slightly resembles the DC Comics villain Deathstroke as both carry various weapons.
- He bears a slight resemblance to the Battletoads.
- He also resembles the Lord of the Atlantis from Monster Legends.
- Some of his battle quotes are shared with Gill Grunt.
- Rip Tide,Chill and Tidepool have the ability to summon cetacean allies.
- His face slightly resembles Captain Qwark from the Ratchet & Clank series.
- When he uses his primary attack with the hammerhead shark three times, he'll peform a move similar to Ratchet's Multi-strike move from Ratchet & Clank.
- When Rip Tide grind rails, he uses the hammerhead shark as a board and holds his swordfish no matter which fish he has active.
- He has the shortest catchphrase out of every Skylander.
- In the Skylanders: Swap Force; Master Eon's Official Guide handbook, it incorrectly states that his Soul Gem is found in the Rampant Ruins.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Skylanders Universe: The Complete Collection, page 197
- ↑ Live Demonstration of Character and Toy Design for Skylanders
- ↑ Skylanders Official Sticker Book (2014), page 12