|Young Portal Master, this page holds content that contains spoilers.|
If you have not finished Skylanders Academy, then it is highly recommended that you move onto another page.
- “They call me... The Light Eater.”
- —Strykore, Touch of Evil
Strykore, also known as The Light Eater, is a major villain in the Skylanders Academy television series. As punishment for his evil actions in the Great War, he was sealed within the Book of Dark Magic; though he still orchestrated most of the events of Season 2 to gain his freedom.
Strykore's cunning surpasses even that of the Golden Queen, using his corruptive magic and lies to reach his goals. He does not seem to care about the disastrous effects of his light siphoning, nor about the balance between good and evil, and he has made clear his mission to destroy the Core of Light, no matter who he has to harm or even kill to get there.
Strykore was made legend for his main ability: siphoning the light energy of beings to increase his own power, sometimes corrupting them into evil beings in the process. Even without using it, he still has great dark magic, and can bestow (or alter the existing) powers of others from his prison inside the Endless Void of the Book of Dark Magic. His growing power also empowers many villains in Skylands (to the point even joke villains become genuine threats) and disrupts technology like a virus, causing mayhem long before being freed.
Though he appears incapable of using astral magic, he can still manifest himself in the Dream Realm, with enough power to free anyone from Dreamcatcher's grasp temporarily.
While the majority of his origins is largely unknown, it is known that during the era of the Great War, Strykore was feared as the "Light Eater" as he constantly devoured the light of anyone unfortunate enough to cross his path; at one point, he attempted to destroy the Core of Light by consuming the light of (and corrupting) its Dragon guardians, though they were stopped by Master Eon's desperate spells which sent them to another dimension. Eventually, Strykore was stopped by his ally Kaossandra, who betrayed him for currently unknown reasons to seal him inside the Book of Dark Magic with Eon's help. Following his imprisonment, Strykore's actions left behind a fearsome reputation, and forever "tainted" the participants of the war (such as Master Eon); in addition, it is heavily implied that everyone else thought the "Light Eater" (Strykore's personal title) was an entirely different being (as during his audience with Strykore, Kaos expressed gleeful surprise at learning Strykore was the Light Eater).
Strykore empowered Kaos through the Book of Dark Magic, in an attempt to make him undo the curse with Chompy Mage's help in Crash Landing. When the book was taken by the Skylanders and returned to Kaossandra after an arduous struggle; however, he acted surprised before his manifestation was sealed back into the tome.
Though his inital attempt at leaving the book was thwarted, Strykore had another method set in place: Kaos' empowerment started to drain Kaossandra's magic by the day, and the more the dark wizard gained strength to manifest, the less Kaossandra could keep him inside the book before he manifested from the Endless Void to interact with anyone within his power's reach. Over the course of the season, even weaker villains started to become real threats to the Skylanders.
Eventually, his powers did more than strengthen the evil of Skylands, and in Sheep(ball) Dreams, he finally reached out to Dreamcatcher by emptying the Dream Realm, making a deal with her to reveal the location of Kaossandra's Castle so he could be freed. Golden Queen, unbeknownst to him, was eager to use this information to take revenge on Kaossandra, but she was no stranger to his power and secretly planned to destroy him as well. However, his return wasn't secret for long, and after Dreamcatcher was taken in by the Skylanders during her amnesia, she told them about Strykore when he attempted to remind her of their deal.
Kaossandra was once his ally, but after her betrayal, he made no attempt to hide his hatred for her and taunted her at every attempt of sealing him when her strength started to wane.
Though he welcomed him as a son and offered him power and a spot to rule at his side, all is not as it may seem. Though Kaos was saved by his terrible memory, Strykore at first attempted to consume his power mercilessly to become free, and proceeded to lie about being his father to keep Kaos under his thumb. Despite this, Strykore did display genuine glee towards Kaos wanting to use his magic to free his mother, only to break her heart by revealing to her that he knew who Strykore was, and that he was the reason Kaos was able to free her.
When he is first introduced to Glumshanks, Strykore gained an urge to jam wheels inside the troll's ears and use him as a rickshaw, something Kaos had done to Glumshanks a month prior.
Strykore used Spyro’s light to free himself from the book he was trapped in, creating Dark Spyro. He used Spyro’s entire dragon race during the Great War in helping him spread evil and has unknown plans for Spyro himself.
- Though he has a significant amount of design changes from Master Eon's appearance, he uses a similar model, and also has robes colored similarly to Evilon.
- Likewise, his name might be a reference to Hektore.
- Strykore was created for the show as a threat to Skylands with family relationships towards various characters.
- Strykore's spells are actual phrases spoken in reverse, unlike the gibberish spells used by Kaossandra and Eon, and Skull's spells with only the words backwards. As of Season 2, he has only attempted one spoken spell, which when solved, puts his relationship with Kaos into question:
- Let it consume you so once more I may live.
- These spells are very similar to the ones used by DC Comics' Zatanna for her magic.
- Strykore's voice actor, Fred Tatasciore, is known for voicing certain Skylanders including Snap Shot (both the canon version and show counterpart) and Zook. He is also well known for being the voice of menacing and/or powerful characters, such as Marvel characters Hulk and Ghost Rider.
- Similarly to Kaossandra's magic, Strykore's magic has its own color, in this case black with red accents. His magic is by far the most powerful type of magic in the show, as the small amount he gave Kaos not only enabled him to effortlessly overpower all the Doom Raiders at once, but also enable him to free his mother from Golden Queen's imprisonment, steal back his original powers and those of his mother (it even briefly turned Kaos' blue forehead marking bright red in color).
- Given Strykore's immense power, and malevolent nature, in comparison to Kaos, he is possibly the Skylanders Academy equivalent to The Darkness from the main canon, because of his ability to bestow power and the use of cunning plans to destroy Skylands rather than conquer it.
- Like The Darkness, Strykore is responsible for "infusing" Spyro with darkness and corrupting him into Dark Spyro.
- Once freed, Strykore demonstrates a rather unique speech trait: he will (usually towards the ends of his sentences) emphasize certain details with a deep growl.